Be proud of yourselves folks. We made it to 2021! Making it through 2020 means you can overcome anything. Well, in Texas, we still have a few minutes, but I’m counting it early. I was trying to explain to someone this morning that 2020 felt like it flew by rather quickly, yet was excruciatingly long at the same time. How could that be?
How could a year that was traumatic for so many people worldwide, be one of the best years of my life? Only God knows. There is not much I control in this world. What I can control are goals I set for myself and my attitude. Every year, I strive to be better and grow, which entails taking inventory of my life. I came up with a short list of things I’m letting go of in 2021 and I’m sharing with you. I hope my list inspires you to let go of some things no longer serving you too.
- I was introduced to the book the “Bait of Satan” through my Life Group in the fall of 2020. A Life Group is comprised of a small group of couples from our church who gather for several weeks to study a lesson together. The book really opened my eyes to offense, how it manifests, and destroys relationships. The concepts are totally counterintuitive to how most people (i.e., Christians), including myself, think. This is a must read, especially if you are a Christian.
- I will forgive people immediately, whether they are aware or not, and move on.
- On my 2020 Vision Board, I glued the phrase “Care more, stress less”. I’ve been practicing not caring too much about what people think of me for years now. I need to work on the stress less.
- I need to stop stressing over my work “to do” list. I put in ample hours. It’s a never-ending list. I will put in my daily hours and then cut it off.
- I need to stop caring so much about my family having a homecooked meal every day or leftovers of a homecooked meal. I live with two teenagers and a husband who loves fast food. They don’t care.
- I will instead cook smaller portions of mostly healthy meals I want to eat.
- Bad sleep habits
- I will not slouch around until 10:30 pm to get ready for bed.
- I need to be ready for bed by 9:30 pm during the work week. Period. “Being ready” means I will have taken a shower, my pajamas are on, and I’ll have a book in hand and am in the bed by 9:30 pm…no phone or laptop.
- Getting enough sleep is a cure for just about everything.
- Underestimating myself
- It doesn’t happen often as I’m usually very confident, EXCEPT in situations where I’m with people who I PERCEIVE are very knowledgeable. I’m surrounded by smart people on a daily basis, but it’s certain people. Time to unpack that and let it go.
- Also, no more second guessing or doubting myself.
- The physical weight that causes me to be overweight and puts me at higher risk for certain diseases.
- The mental weight of perfectionism.
- The mental weight of anxiety.
- The mental weight of things I can’t control.
- I’m developing a plan to be much lighter.
- For not being the parent I think I should.
- For not being the wife I think I should.
- For not being the sister, aunt, friend, cousin, etc….I think I should.
- For not doing everything everybody else thinks I should.
- For taking time for myself.
- I will work on more positive affirmations and self-talk and acceptance.
I’ll follow up with a post on my vision for 2021. What are you letting go of in 2021?
Cheers to another year full of opportunities, the unknown, joy, peace, blessings, and light lessons!